Boston boasts beautiful architecture, landscapes, and serene urban green spaces. Getting around is often easiest on foot, so enjoy the view and stay safe! Take a look at our interactive map to find out what’s within a 15-minute walk of HMS.
Please see Harvard University Transit and Transportation Services in the HMS Student Handbook for information on HMS transportation, parking, the M2 Shuttle that runs between HMS/MIT/Harvard University, Zipcar, and Hubway.
- The “T” – Boston’s subway system, the T is the anchor of the MBTA, which also includes an extensive bus network. More info below.
- Lyft/Uber – Costs just a bit more than the T
- Running – A great way to integrate commuting and fitness
- Walking – A good option for early morning rotations
- Biking – Another good option for early morning rotations. See HMS biking and HMS bike parking map.
- Free shuttle services – The M2 and other Longwood shuttles are especially convenient during preclinical coursework.
- ZipCar – Car sharing ideal for day trips and bulk shopping
The MBTA Semester Program is a school managed pre-paid program offering an 11% discount on passes to HMS students. Passes are purchased as a four-month bundle available both in the Fall (for September - December) and/or the Spring (for February - May). Students are notified about the program by email in early August (for Fall pass) and in December (for Spring pass) with a deadline soon after. The bundle TPass requires advanced payment administered by the HMS Financial Aid Office. Payment cannot be deducted from a student’s term bill account. Specific pricing is also posted here in August and December.