HMS Students

Registrar Services for HMS MD & Master’s Students

The Registrar’s Office provides online self-service for students who need to update their contact information, add/drop a course, or cross register for a course.

Online Self-Service

Students who wish to request enrollment confirmation, transcripts, dean’s letters, or degree verification should:

Complete Request Form

Other services and information provided by the Registrar are detailed below:



Update Contact Information

The Registrar’s Office must maintain current contact information for all students, including addresses and phone numbers. HMS students should update their own contact information online and may refer to the self-service guide for instructions and links. HMS Pathways students must update their information separately in Canvas, in addition to the universal update in MyCourses or eCommons.

Enrollment Certification Letter (for Loan Deferrals)

The Registrar’s Office can verify HMS student enrollment for loan deferrals. MD/PhD students should contact their graduate program for enrollment verification while they are registered in the PhD portion of the program.


Requests for transcripts must be made in writing by completing and signing the Transcript Request Form and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office. Processing time can vary depending on the time of year and volume of requests, so it is advisable to send in your request 1–2 weeks in advance of your deadline. There is no fee for requesting a transcript. Students enrolled in a joint degree program must make a separate request for transcripts from a non-HMS degree program.

Transcript Types

Mailed directly to third party, sealed, and signed by the Registrar. Official transcripts may be issued directly to students in a signed and sealed envelope to be transmitted unopened to a third party.

Student copy for personal use. Does not carry Registrar’s signature and is stamped “unofficial.”

GPA Letter (master's students only)
HMS transcripts do not list GPA calculations or number of course credits, but master’s students may request an official GPA letter in writing by completing and signing the Transcript Request Form and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office. Processing time can vary depending on the time of year and volume of requests, so it is advisable to send in your request 1–2 weeks in advance of your deadline. There is no fee for requesting a transcript. GPA calculations are based on the grading system below:

Letter Grades Numeric Value
A = 4.00
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D = 1.00
D- = 0.67
F = 0.00
NOTE: Courses taken at the Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School, and courses with grades of S/U, SAT/UNSAT or P/F are not factored into students’ GPA calculation.



Certification of Copy of Diploma

You must send the Registrar a copy of your original diploma. The Registrar will verify that it is a true copy of the original and will affix the Harvard Medical School seal on the copy.

Replacement Diplomas

A replacement diploma can be issued only if the original diploma has been irretrievably lost or destroyed. If you are in need of a replacement diploma, please contact the Registrar’s Office. The fee is $125.00.


Graduation Dates

The official graduation dates for Harvard Medical School are:

  • May 24, 2018
  • November 13, 2018
  • March 12, 2019
  • May 30, 2019