Funding for Student Projects

The Office of Scholarly Engagement (OSE) is a primary source of student funding for:

OSE Funding

Fifth Year Funding

  • Students participate in a rigorous application and review process to be eligible for OSE funding.
  • The OSE provides funding for students who are taking a year off (a “fifth year”) or who are carrying out research over a summer in which they are not enrolled as full-time students. Where possible, student stipends are funded equally by their mentor and the OSE.
  • The OSE does not fund research carried out while students are enrolled at HMS full-time.
  • Students are encouraged to apply for funding from external sources (fellowships, scholarships, etc.) for research or travel. In most cases, students apply directly to the funding sources (Sarnoff Fellowships, etc).

Travel Abroad Supplements

HMS students can apply for OSE reimbursement of some travel expenses to selected clinical elective exchange sites, research abroad, and research outside of New England. Students are expected to have their own funding to cover their remaining expenses. Contact the OSE for advice on external funding for clinical electives abroad.

London Society

London Society students can apply to the OSE for matching funding for three-month summer research projects pursued at the end of their first year. Mentors are expected to provide shared stipend funding to their students. 

Conference Funding

HMS students may apply for funding to attend academic or professional conferences to present their work outside of Harvard University.  Visit our internal site for more information.   HMS account ID is required.  

Community Service Funding

Students can apply for OSE stipend funding to coordinate and implement sustainable community service projects taking place during the academic or calendar year. Projects may be completed over a minimum of three months (200 hours) or can span up to a full academic year (350+ hours). Existing community service projects can be found on the OSE website (HMS account ID is required). Students may develop and propose new service projects, which will be carefully reviewed for a clearly justified, value-added contribution.


Students work with the OSE to apply for these external and Harvard fellowships:

  • The Fulbright US Student Program for study or research abroad
  • The Marshall Scholarship (Please try to apply through your undergraduate institution, first)
  • Various Harvard traveling fellowships
Current students  Access the internal funding site for more information.  HMS account ID is required.